Wednesday 26 January 2011

Kalo Make Patterns !

I love colors, animals and most of all, repeat patterns. I have always wondered how patterns are created, the level of details and the intertwining effects! Finally, I discover how they are created! (Thanks Tor for her post!) Surprisingly, it is amazingly simple. I tried it out myself today! Believe me or not, everyone can do it! All you need are:
+ a pen
+ a piece of paper
+ a pair of scissors (or cutter)
+ some tapes
+ a scanner and a computer (or just a printer!)
+ (optional) a few colour pencils / markers 
I know there are probably a lot of online tutorials out there teaching you how to create repeat patterns. But I am going to demonstrate to you how easy it is by using my own personal example just because I am tooooooo excited about it!


STEP ONE: Do some drawings on a plain paper (of any size), make sure the drawing does not touch the edges (this is important!)



STEP TWO: Cut the drawing into half horizontally (use a photocopy version if you want to keep the original artwork!) 


STEP THREE: take the top piece of paper and put it under the bottom paper, then flip them both to the back. Now use the tapes to tape the drawing back together! Line them up as perfect as possible.

STEP FOUR: Cut the drawing into half again, this time, cut vertically!



STEP FIVE: Take the right piece of paper and move it to the left. Like before, flip them both to the back. Use tape to tape them together, line them up even more perfect than you just did!

STEP SIX: You should now have a piece of paper with a white space in the middle and your original drawings placed on the four corners. Then, pick up the pen again and fill in the white space with more fun drawings!




STEP SEVEN (Optional) : Colour in your final drawing using colour pencils / markers or colour it digitally. This step of colouring is optional, you can still create cool patterns in black and white!








LAST STEP AND HAPPY STEP: If you are a digital person, you can scan your image and repeat them on photoshop. If you prefer a complete handmade experience, you can photocopy your final drawing (the number of copies depends on how big you want your pattern to be!). The images should line up perfectly on any edges! 


 Work Done! Here is Kalo Make Pattern final piece! Horray!


(Due to digital editing, the colour does not reflect how I like it here...)



7 comments:

  1. Kalo this is great! Hooray! It's really fun to do as well, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love the patterns!

    You should design more Wall papers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is amazing!

    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute, I have linked this post from my blog :-)

    www.niceties.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! I love your design

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Kalo! This is great!! I lob your job!.
    I´m Marta (spanish), we me at the CSM course, exploring illustration. I´m happy to have found you!!
    Bye!! XX

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Like ...