Wednesday 2 May 2012

Chinese Wedding Invitation Wording Template - How to Title Bride and Groom


*** Please check out my new Blog dedicated to Modern Adventurous Brides
http://kalobespoke.blogspot.hk/

Chinese Wedding Invitation Wording Template - How to Title Bride and Groom
When it comes to Chinese wordings for wedding invitations, a lot of people have no idea on where to start. Especially how to address oneself as 長男 // 男 // 男 //  小兒....
Here is an easy guidance to help you...
Traditional Chinese Wedding Invitations use a special format.
They are read from top to down, right to left.
They are also versed so that the bride and groom's parents are the official hosts.
Here is an example:



Take note of following etiquette: 
1. Specify the date of the wedding in both gregorian/solar and Chinese/lunar calendar form.
2. List the day of the week in parenthesis.
3. Precede the bride and groom's names with their birth order among siblings.
*** See below for more information on how to name the birth order
For example: Eldest son Second daughter Youngest son
4. The characters for "welcome" should be in larger font than rest of text.
Information obtained from here

Ranking amongst Siblings: Here are some terms that are commonly used on Chinese wedding invitations:
小兒 : refers to the only child in the family 
小兒 : ALSO refers to Groom has no male siblings (can have sisters/ older or younger)
小女:  refers to the only child in the family 小女: ALSO refers to Bride who has no female siblings   (can have brothers/ older or younger)
男 // 男 // 男 : oldest son / 2nd son / youngest son // 次女 // 女 :oldest daughter / 2nd daughter / youngest daughter
For the Groom, he just need to arrange the sequence among himself and his brothers, and do not need to take into account of his sisters if he has any. This applies to the Bride too.
E.g. He is the oldest son, with 1 younger sister and 1 younger brother = 長
E.g. He is the only son, with 1 older sister = he will still be referred as 小兒 (do not take into account of sisters)
Hope this is clearer and hope you will find this useful. 

*** Please check out my new Blog dedicated to Modern Adventurous Brides

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I would like to work on my own wedding invitations similar to this. I was wondering if you could help me make the chinese template? Please email me at hpshorty8@hotmail.com if you can.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be very pleased to search out this internet-site.I wanted to thanks on your time for this wonderful learn!! I undoubtedly enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.
    Beach wedding invitations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I am also looking at adding a chinese template to my invite, would you mind emailing me livinglegend@hotmail.com to discuss further?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, thanks for the guide on writing wedding invitation wording... the etiquette, tricks and tips, etc. I thought just putting the details of the wedding is enough. Now I know there are rules to follow.

    Regards
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Like ...