Wednesday 9 March 2011

Kalo Make Stitches DAY 2 / Tutorial

Today is the second day I continue to stitch. I started a new project, instead of stitching my doodles, I stitched pieces of fabrics together to create one big pattern.


The technique is really simple, but the tricky part is it is very very time consuming !
I spent nearly 10 hours completing the shape (believe it or not) ... I know I should get faster once I get better at stitching. Luckily the pattern is rather successful !


Here are the steps :
Step 1
Cut out x 19 SAME SIZED hexagon shape PAPER templates - A4 printing paper 80gsm works AND
Cut out x 19 SAME SIZED hexagon shape FABRICS - remember to leave a border of approximately 0.7 cm bigger than the paper templates.




 Any sizes of hexagon should work, but my suggestion is not to make them too small, it is more difficult to hold smaller shapes while stitching.

I cut out hexagon shapes of 2.5 cm (E-D) and 4 cm (F-G)



Step 2
Wrap the slighly bigger fabric around the paper template, then stitch over (both the fabric and paper template) to form/ secure the hexagon shape.

Don't need to stitch perfectly here as the stitch would be taken out later. The key is to create a sharp hexagon shape. 

Step 3
Hold two pieces of hexagon fabrics together, with the ugly backs facing out.
Stitched them together along the top and side edges. Slowly stitching each fabric one by one, you will gradually create a bigger pattern. The key here is ... P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E !



After more than ten hours of patience ...


STEP 4
Use a hot but not super hot iron to iron over the whole piece, make sure you are aiming to flatten and sharpen the edges. Once this is done, carefully pull out all the paper templates and cut out all the stitches you did on each individual fabric in STEP 2.

    And after all the hard work, I finally had one piece of beautiful fabric !


You can stitch it on tote bags, cushion covers, skirts !!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kalo! Hope you're having a lovely holiday. Have you heard of Janet Bolton? My mum introduced me to her work, and I think it's lovely, and very inspirational for sewing and quilting!

    http://www.janetbolton.com/janetbolton18.html

    Tor x

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Like ...